/* */ Error 1406 installing Office Pro Plus 2010 |SQL Works

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Error 1406 installing Office Pro Plus 2010

After a recent computer upgrade I was faced with re-installing the Office 2010 Pro Plus suite, which I had the discs for and assumed would be a no brainer. Upon happily inserting the CD and expecting to hit 'GO' and grab a snickers I was suddenly faced with this:
Error 1406 cannot write the assembly value screenshot
ERROR 1406: Setup cannot write the value Assembly to the registry key

After some reading about how I did not have sufficient permissions to alter my registry, and knowing this was not true, I tried a theory and disabled my anti-virus software (AdAware AntiVirus free edition) and the installation worked without an issue. I have also read references to WebRoot SpySweeper blocking registry changes as well, so if you are facing this same problem, before you go changing registry permissions, try disabling your anti-virus software, it may just work. Don't forget to turn it back on...

If you found this useful, please hit the +1, it's free!